December is here again and that means the holidays are upon us. As much as we’d love to revel in the spirit of the season, it doesn’t seem like there’s so much to celebrate considering how 2020 dealt the world a heavy and unexpected blow. That being said, the cinema industry (and other industries) was brought to its knees by Covid-19, to which a global lockdown was initiated. This forced many cinemas and businesses to close shop for months; safety first above all first.
December has always been a buzz of movie activities, from Christmas and Romcoms blockbusters to anticipating new hit releases, but 2020 is a bit different and the reason is not farfetched. Like the fight against the dreaded coronavirus, we don’t have to give up on our marathon binge-movie tradition. Let’s do things a little differently this time, having a mix of the old and the new to create a lasting December movie experience. Don’t expect the usual Christmas-themed movies, that’s boring jor. Here are some of the films to watch this holiday season.
1) Home Alone: A classic and a must-watch every Christmas time, yes the tradition can not be broken, the Home Alone franchise has brought so much happiness to many all over the world. With a special bias for Home Alone 1 and 2, Macaulay Culkin as a kid actor just has a way of making you love Christmas more and more.
2) Greenland: It might look like Gerard Butler always gets to save the day in near-impossible situations, considering his role in the Fallen series, but you can’t deny the fact that he’s really good at it. Go watch Butler as he navigates his way through a meteor shower while trying to get his family to safety all in one piece.
3) Ukwa: If there was a time Nkem Owoh gave his best performance, Ukwa would take the prize. This Nollywood comedy classic is sure to get you rolling on the floor with laughter and tears in your eyes. Patience Ozokwor too is not left out in this hilarious blockbuster.
4) Wonder Woman 1984 (release date, Dec 28): One of the most anticipated films of 2020. The release date has been pushed back several times that you’d think the movie is cursed or something. (It’s going to be a great film, have you seen the trailer?) Finally, we get to feast our eyes and souls to the magic Gal Gadot brings to the character called Diana- Wonder Woman.
5) Nneka the Pretty Serpent (Release date is Dec 18): After a successful remake of Living in Bondage and Rattlesnake, Play Network Studios has shown that it’s working hard at giving life to old Nollywood classics by announcing the release date for Nneka the Pretty Serpent. If you’ve seen the original, then the remake should prick your curiosity. The movie features comedian Bovi, reality star Beverly Osu and Ndidi Obi who play the lead character.
Honourary mentions include:
- Rattlesnake (Remake)
- Avengers- all the parts
- Die Hard- part 1&2
- Ose is a cartoon enthusiast sugar junkie. He loves to travel, make new friends and he never gets tired of spaghetti and plantain.