Have you ever wanted to see a movie so bad just because of one or two cast you never thought had what it takes to pull off acting? That’s the case for some of us, 2018 had so many great movies and we saw fantastic acting from some of our favourite thespians while some new actors were introduced to us. But for some of these new guys, acting is their first love while others are completely new to the game. I must confess that some producers were daring in 2018; they experimented with these guys and, let’s just say the results were not disappointing. Here is a list of 2018 surprise Nollywood actors.
1. Reminisce: Now this is someone I guess most of you guys would’ve sworn didn’t have the acting juice in his veins. I know right, I didn’t see it coming either. Reminisce shocked us all when he featured in the Kemi Adetiba’s blockbuster King of Boys. Reminisce played the role of Makanaki in the film. According to the ace rapper, it took Kemi eight months to convince him to take up the role, when he finally accepted he almost quit. For him, his first day on set seeing Sola Sobowale in her full element was daunting and he felt he couldn’t meet up so he’d rather not act at all than do and not perform well. But thanks to Kemi’s persistence, Reminisce stayed on the project and he did excellently well. King of Boys was his debut movie.
2. MI Abaga: MI is one of the most talented rappers in Africa, some will say he single handedly changed the face of rap music in Nigeria, but it seems spitting bars is not the only thing he’s good at, we’re about to behold his acting skills. Ebony Life TV’s Chief Daddy is scheduled to be released on December 14th, with a cast of the best of the best in Nollywood; the production house has revealed that MI is among the stars featured in the movie. It’s still not clear the actual role he plays but one thing is certain, fans are desperately looking forward to that short black boy make his debut as an actor.
3. Illbliss: Another first and a huge surprise for the hip-hop world in Nigeria. Popular rapper Illbliss also landed a role alongside his hip-hop head colleague Reminisce. This is his debut in Nollywood and he pulled an applaudable performance. Illbliss is one of the most gifted and respected rappers this side of the world, venturing into the movie industry and doing well maybe a sign that there’s a place for rappers in Nollywood. Illbliss played the role of Odogwu Malay in King of Boys. (Watch Kemi Adetiba on the Red Carpet for King of Boys)
4. Toni Tones: This is an honourary mention. After conquering the fashion world, music and recently trying her hands on acting, Toni is someone that loves the challenge. The surprise here is her role as young (Sola Sobowale) Eniola Salami in the King of Boys movie. Her interpretation of the character is next to flawless, Toni gave it her all and it paid off. She has been receiving massive commendations from far and wide; Toni Tones really did surprise us.
So there you have it guys, if you think there are some names that need to be added please hit the comments and share. I’d be delighted to hear from you.
Read Also: King of Boys Movie Review: Reminisce and Illbliss did a very good job at playing their respective characters
- Ose is a cartoon enthusiast sugar junkie. He loves to travel, make new friends and he never gets tired of spaghetti and plantain.